Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It has been two years this month since Cody had the second surgery on his
eye. It seems so long ago that my cute boy was given the possibility that he
may have cancer, and yet it seems like it was yesterday that he was having
surgery and no one had any answers.
It all started in June of 2006. He got a raised red bump on his eye. It was very
small, and it looked like a bubble. After a couple of weeks of it not going
away I took him to the doctor, and they shrugged it off, said it was probably
an allergy and to give him allergy medicine. By Oct it was a little bit bigger,
so we took him to the eye doctor, again they weren't worried, (either was I by the way,) they thought it was an internal allergen and steroid drops would help. The thing continued to grow and the day after Thanksgiving we went back to the eye doctor and he said he thought it needed to be removed. So on Thurs, Dec 28th, (which is Dave's b-day) Cody had surgery. After they were done, the doctor came to talk to us, said he didn't get it all, and said he thought it was cancer. I was shocked!!! I can honestly say that weekend was
the longest weekend of my life!!
I remember talking to my brother about all of this before we new what it was and I was crying. Cody walked in and wanted to know what was wrong. I told him I was just worried about his eye, he looked at me and with all of his 4 yr old wisdom said "Mom, my eye is going to be fine!" He gave me a hug and a kiss and ran off to play! I wish I had the faith of a child!!
We found out it was not cancer, it was a hemangioendothelioma, or a tumor of the blood vessels. The tumor continued to grow after the first surgery, and on Feb 16 2007 he had his second and last surgery. By the two best doctors ever!! (There was actually a team of 4 or 5 doctors). The surgery was aggressive and left him with a thin eye and a astigmatism, but that is all. Cody is doing great, his vision seems to improve every time we go to the doctor, and they tell me each time they cant believe he is doing as well as he
is, It is a miracle! I am so grateful for Cody, I don't know what I
would do without him and his sweet spirit.
These pictures were taken by the doctor after the first surgery, and then 2 months after the second surgery. When I look at these pictures I am still amazed at how well his eye looks after having the tumor.

1 comment:

shara and jeff said...

its crazy how much you love your kids, its a love that you can never explain to anyone, you just have to have a kid to fully understand, but i have to admit that you have some pretty cute ones! i am so glad that things have turned out so good for cody and all of you. i am sorry again about the hair and i cant wait to do it again tomorrow!!, it means i get to see my bff again!