Saturday, November 6, 2010

Max's Birth Story

This pregnancy was the most difficult, so why would the delivery be any different?
It wasn't.  It was the longest, and the hardest physically and emotionally.
I had a NST on Tues. Oct 19.  I thought it would be a normal NST, 20-30 mins
and I would be on my way.  Max was doing great, I on the other hand made the
Perinatologist nervous and was told I was going to have a baby today!  
They all said it like it was a good thing.  I have to admit I was not ready to
have a baby that day, and I was caught off guard.  It stressed me out so
much it actually put me into labor.  Something that has never happened!!
I wish I could say that it helped, and things went smoothly, but I can't.
When they started the Pit, I was told that this was going to be quick and easy.
It was my 4th, I was dilated to a 2, 80% effaced, no problem.
I swear I just like to be difficult, and prove people wrong.  I can not do 
anything the easy way!!
The night drug on forever!!  I was having very regular contractions, very 
painful as well.  I got my epidural at 2:30 a.m. and tried to get some
rest.  None of us (Dave, my mom) got much rest.  At 7:00 I still was only
dilated to a 2, and my Dr was worried that if he broke my water too soon
we could have a prolapsed cord.  Max didn't seem to want to make his 
presence known.  He wasn't moving down any.
So my Dr. decided to turn off the Pit, and try Cytotec.  If that didn't work
he threatened to send me home, and wait a bit longer and then try again.
Let me just say, that is not something you say to a pregnant girl who
has had enough!!  
They turned off my epidural, and told me I could eat something.  They brought in
breakfast, and after 2 bites, I was told I could not eat.  I think that was
one of the longest days of my life!!!
By the time the 3rd dose of Cytotec was given, I still had not dilated, or effaced 
any more.  My Dr said that if the last dose didn't work, there was a good
chance I would be going home.
So, 27 hours after getting there, having my epidural, then stopped and restarted,
not eating for 36 hours, no sleep, I was beyond done!
Of course I couldn't stop the tears, I pleaded my case to my Dr. telling him
that I would rather have a C-section then go home.  I could not do this all
over!!  I still had not dilated, and after much debate between my Dr and the
Perinatologist, they decided that as long as I knew I could end up with a C-section,
then we should continue.  What relief!!
He broke my water at about 6:00 p.m. and restarted the pit.  So now we were
back to waiting and checking about every hour.
By 9:00 p.m. I still had not changed. Talk about discouraging!!  I was starting
to wonder if this boy would ever make his grand entrance!!
At 10:00 my nurse came and checked me, she asked what I thought I was.
I thought I still had not changed.  What she said surprised me more than not
changing would have.  I was at a 9, and would soon be ready to push.
She got everything ready, and at 10:30 I started pushing.  Max started to have 
drops in his heart rate,  so there was a rush to get him out fast.
At 11:02 on Oct 21, Max James Quittner was born!  Dave did get to cut the umbilical
cord, and then Max was quickly given to the Respiratory therapist.  He was
breathing, but not crying.  A little bit of O2, and he was good.
 40 hours of not eating, 33 hours of labor, many, many tears, and
a lot of frustration was all worth it!  My sweet boy was PERFECT!!
He weighed in at 7 lbs 11 oz.  20 inches long. 
  I was so happy that he had finally made it, and everything turned out ok.  
Yes, my pregnancies are hard, and deliveries are just as trying, but I am
so blessed that once they get here, both of us are healthy!
 I love that he is so stretched out

 So glad it is finally over!!

 My dad


 Grandma Quittner
 Love all these boys!!


 Jaxson loved my belly.  He wasn't sure Max was the
same. It took him a bit to hold him.  He now
absolutely LOVES him!!
 All of the boys hands




 I LOVE his feet!!  He has got the longest toes!



My sweet mom




 Getting ready to go home.  The boys were so ready for
me to come home.  Jaxson started to cry the night before
when he had to leave.  It broke my heart.  I was so 
ready to go home.  4 days is plenty long enough to 
spend in the hospital.
 I Love this little dude!!

I am so glad he is here!  I am so grateful for my sweet
family.  They took care of everything while I was in the
hospital.  They made it possible for Dave to be with me. I am
so glad my mom was able to there as well.  The boys stayed with
Heidi, and Lin helped with them.
Thanks again guys, You are the BEST!!

1 comment:

Ali T said...

You are right, he is perfect! Glad you are all doing well!